More than just books!
**The Director of Benefits and Compensation acts as the point of contact for all Books-A-Million benefits including but not limited to Health, Dental, Vision, Short and Long Term Disability, 401 (K), Savings Plans, Voluntary Benefits and related matters. They will interact with vendors regarding the management of benefits and will provide reports, direction and recommendations to the Vice President of Human Resources, the Chief Financial Officer and other members of the Executive Team. They will provide support and direction and supervise the Benefits Specialist.
They must demonstrate exceptional customer service skills for assisting associates of Books-A-Million and AWBC. They should have knowledge of and familiarity with Lawson Software, the primary HRIS/BENEFITS system used by the company. This software is used to administer and provide information about all benefit related matters.
The Director of Benefits and Compensation will work closely with other members of the Human Resources team to assure timely administration of benefits and dissemination of pertinent information. They will also work with the Payroll team to ensure all deductions are communicated and taken in a timely manner. They will perform other duties related to Books-A-Million benefits as directed by the Vice President of Human Resources.
- Administers employee benefits programs such as retirement plan, medical, term life insurance plans, temporary disability programs, and accidental death policies and supplemental programs
- Develops specifications for new plans or modifies existing plans to maintain company's competitive position in the labor market and obtain uniform benefit package for all company locations
- Installs approved new plans and changes by preparing announcement material, booklets, and other media for communication new plans to employee. Conducts employee meetings and arranges for enrollment of employees in optional plans. Conducts employee benefit seminars for all associates. Revises and reissues all communications material on benefits from time to time. Advises and counsels management and employees on existing benefits.
- Assures company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act. Supervises preparation of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners, and other regulatory agencies. Reviews and analyzes changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits, and reports necessary or suggested changes to management.
- Handles benefit inquiries and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution. Maintains contact in person, and by phone or email, with applicable entities to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees
- Provides supervision, training and development and ongoing daily support to Benefits Specialist
- Supervises maintenance of benefits records and supervises maintenance of enrollment, application, and claims records for all benefits plans.
- Partners with applicable vendors, and makes recommendations for provider changes, as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelors' degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or similar degree program required. Masters in Human Resources Management or related advanced degree preferred
- SPHR, CBP, or CEBS certification(s) preferred
- At least five or more years related experience in a Benefits Administration position
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate with associates at all levels across the enterprise in person, via phone or written correspondence
- Highest regard for confidentiality of all proprietary information
- Ability to analyze, compare and investigate data, contracts and other information to make informed recommendations for change
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of computer software including Lawson, MS Word, and Excel